POWER IN PREPAREDNESS! Week 9: Three-month Storage
Family Home Evening—Choose what works for your family.
I Will Be Valiant and Dare to Do Right (Children’s Songbook, p. 162 and p. 158); Choose the Right (Hymns, p. 239)
Book of Mormon Story
Nephi breaks his bow.
Read 1 Nephi 16:10-32.
- What did Lehi find outside his tent door, and what did it do?
He found the Liahona (see Alma 37:38). It was like a compass that pointed the way they should go in the wilderness. Sometimes it had words written on it.
- What happened to Nephi’s bow and then to his brothers’ bows?
Nephi broke his steel bow. His brothers’ bows lost their springs.
- What did Nephi use to make a new bow and arrow?
Wood and a straight stick
- How did Nephi get directions for where to hunt?
He looked at the pointers on the Liahona and followed the directions.
- Heavenly Father gives us directions for how to take care of our families.
- “By small means the Lord can bring about great things.” (1 Ne 16:29) We can build up our food storage gradually.
- We should be faithful and diligent in following the directions from our church leaders to store three months of food that is part of our normal, daily diet. We should rotate these items regularly.
- Assemble the ingredients for a meal into a sealable bag. Cook the meal on another day.
- Make a menu for two weeks and multiply the ingredients by six to create a shopping list for three months of food storage.
- Try a three-day food storage trial, eating only stored foods. Make a note of problem areas (such as “Note: Need more chocolate!”)
- Chocolate chips or candy bars
- Pop tarts or cold cereal with powdered milk
- Jiffy Pop or regular popcorn